Content Brief: 800-1000 words using keywords “Potty training” “Signs to start potty training” The search intent is to learn ways to potty train a child
The Goal: Write engaging and educational content, increase traffic to social media, increase conversions
Responsibilities: Keyword research, topic research, writing, editing, reviewing, compiling and edit graphics
Tools: SEMRush, Microsoft Word, Asana, HemingwayApp, Grammarly, Photoshop, Pexels, Screen reader
The Process: I prepared to write by reviewing the content brief. My next step was keyword research. I used SEMRush. I compiled a list of secondary keywords and questions. I did not need extensive content research. I had seven years of education experience, three of which were with two year olds. I leaned on personal experience and books in my library. Once I had clarity on my topic and a list of closely related secondary keywords and questions, I moved on to competitor research.
I wanted to ensure that my take was original, and that I was providing information that parent’s couldn’t find on other websites. Next, I moved to the pre-writing phase.
I typically brainstorm and organize ahead of writing. I created an outline in Microsoft Word using the ABC method. I used the keywords to create a title and grab the audience’s attention. I worked on the body of the copy. The body needed to bring a clear benefit to my audience. I focused on 5 tips that built on one another. I closed with a call to action. I wanted to direct traffic to the Facebook group. This way they would be updated when new blogs were posted, and readers could be an active part of the TRF community. I also wrote in the brand voice and the right tone for my audience.
Finally, I edited my work. I took some time away from the copy. I think it is important to take time away and come back with fresh eyes. I started editing by using a screen reader. I listen as I read through to catch any typos. I also want to see oddly phrased sentences and other syntax errors. I follow up by using Grammarly and Hemingwayapp to ensure my copy is concise and error-free. I did one last read-through and submitted it to my editor for notes.
After I got notes, I made changes and submitted my meta description to include more keywords. I used pixels to gather a few photos that I thought would work well with my text. I then used photoshop to personalize the stock photos I chose.
A few of the photos were only lightly edited or cropped. On the feature photo I added a Warhol inspired pop art effect to the photo.
Outcome: This piece was my most viewed piece on the website.